ost people are familiar with the Eclectic style since it is one of the most popular. However, there are some misconceptions about this decorating style since the word eclectic means different things to different people.
An Eclectic style:
- Consists of mixed elements, but it is not the same thing as a mix-matched look
- Is a free and easy going style, but has its own set of rules and it is one of the hardest styles to pull together
- Is all about a thoughtful AND well-edited collection of treasures and not displaying all of your finds here and there
- Is a mix of styles from different eras
- Like an element of surprise
- Are confident about yourself and your style
- Are not a brand/label snob
- Can find common elements in mix-matched pieces
- Love different elements from different eras equally and can’t decide
- Like vibrant and high energy spaces
- Like a casual and groovy feel in your home
- Like to collect pieces from your travels
- When you find a piece, you often find yourself saying, “why not?”
- You hate clutter and are a disciplined editor and purger
- Like a funky and hipster style – quirky is a good thing
Eclectic style rules:
- The mixing of the collections should be creative and thoughtful. It is very easy for your pieces to clash and this is one of the reasons why this style can be a difficult one to achieve. But this challenge is what makes it fun although you may have to experiment with it. It all goes back to you being confident and daring. Editing and discipline are a MUST.
- Remember, contrast is beautiful, but clash is NOT!
- Since an eclectic style tends to look busier, a simple background like white walls not only helps create balance in the rooms, but also will showcase your pieces beautifully.
- Repeating different elements, such as shapes or colors, is what gives an Eclectic style home a pulled together appearance. Thoughtfully choose the elements that you want to repeat. And experiment.
- Scale and proportion are important in any well designed home but this is especially true in an eclectic home since so much is going on.
- With an Eclectic style, you have more freedom to choose different colors. If there is a piece in your room that you love, you can carry that color to one wall and create an accent wall.
- Remember that an unexpected piece or an unexpected placement is essential in an Eclectic home. They key is to keep the area around unexpected pieces simple so they can stand out.
- You can have lots of fun mixing different types of textiles in an eclectic home. Again, just find an element that pulls them together.