It seems that builders should pay MORE attention to what WOMEN want in their homes!
According to study done by Coldwell Banker in March of 2012, “both men and women rely on how they feel and how their life style fits into a home when they are shopping for a place to live in.” This is why at Seattle Staged To Sell, we have been emphasizing through our designs and blogs, the importance of creating a unique life style for each home.
In addition, studies show that both men and women are looking for different features in their future homes, but women are the primary decision makers when it comes to purchasing homes.
Therefore, it is essential for builders to pay attention to what women are looking for when shopping for their ideal home:
- Spa like bathrooms – even if a bathroom is small in size, up-to-date fixtures will help to create a spa feel. Don’t underestimate the visual power. A master bath with double sinks (hers and his) is priceless.
- A kitchen is the heart of a home and an important room in a house. It should be open, updated, well lit, and organized. Color is very important for a kitchen. Make it inviting, warm and fun. An open floor kitchen plan is the most popular. And let’s not forget about the importance of under cabinet lighting. This is very essential.
- Entertainment spaces are a priority for most women. They want to know how well they will be able to entertain their friends and families. Open floor plans are very popular among women home buyers.
- Storage is queen for women. When it comes to storage, more is BETTER! Built-ins, cabinets, and large closets are a good thing. There is never enough storage. Turn every dead space into a storage space if possible.
- Laundry rooms that are conveniently placed and are bright; when possible, a laundry room with a window is priceless.
- Mud rooms off of garage areas are also another popular spaces for women home buyers since these offer a place to store coats, shoes, rain gear, dog leashes, mail etc. All the things that become scattered throughout the home can be contained in one practical and handy area.
So a friendly reminder to our builder partners, when you are building the next house, make sure you put lots of emphasis on what WOMEN want to see in a home.