Holidays are about families, getting together, buying presents, and expressing our sense of style and merriment with our holiday decorating. Most importantly, we want to be having fun while doing all these things. However, such activities can be somewhat challenging, and perhaps even unpleasant, if trying to sell one’s home during the holidays.
It’s true that the process of selling your home includes removing your personal touches and purging the clutter to create open and inviting spaces for the home buyers. However, by following these simple tips, you’ll be able to create a balance between preparing your home for the holidays and keeping it show ready for the buyers.
Simple holiday decorating tips for homes that are for sale:
- Less is ALWAYS better than more when it comes to selling your home, especially during the holiday season. Be selective and don’t overcrowd your home with lots of decorations. Put out the items that you really love and forgo the giant Santa and elf figurines in your garden. Keep in mind that home buyers are purchasing your home and not your Christmas decorations.
- Choose a monochromatic color palate like silver, white or gold. These are festive colors and also echo winter colors.
- Be mindful that although people celebrate holidays in different ways, everyone relates to the winter season. Create focal points and focus by bringing the outside in. Evergreen branches, ivy, and red berry branches are beautiful and seasonal. Nature is a universal language.
- Instead of poinsettias and colored candles, consider using white potted hydrangea and ivory candles.
- Nature is a universal language and everyone relates to it.
- If you’re celebrating Christmas, choose a slender (tall and narrow) tree with ONLY a few nicely wrapped presents underneath. Remember, you are selling floor space and this choice will add height to your home without taking up too much square footage.
- Consider removing one or two furniture pieces to make room for the Christmas tree.
- White Christmas lights are best suited for homes for sale, especially if you like to add additional ones around your windows. Remember that lights with white wires are more elegant than multicolored lights with traditional green wires.
- Add a 2-hour Duraflame log to the fireplace for all of your open houses.
- The potential buyers and the agents always appreciate festive cookies and this gives the buyers another sweet memory of your home.